REQUIREMENTS FOR INQUIRERS
1. Practicing Catholic, or in RCIA
2. Some college and/or work experience, and/or professional training
3. US citizen or permanent resident
4. Free of debts, long term family obligations, addictive behavior
5. Good physical and emotional health
6. Single, or have received an annulment
THE INITIAL STAGES OF THE PROCESS OF VOCATIONAL EXPLORATION
1. To familiarize yourself with our Order, we suggest that you visit our regional website, where you would find A Newcomer’s Guide to Trappist Life, Steps to Becoming a Monk, and much information about all our monasteries in the U.S.A. The American Region’s Vocation Website is: www.trappist.org (http://www.trappists.org)
2. What if, after having grown more familiar with our Order, you would like to explore the possibility of a vocation at Holy Spirit Monastery? Then we would invite you to tell us about your faith journey, prayer life, work experience, reason(s) for desiring monastic life, and whatever might help us to know you better. (Via email or letter.)
Should our vocation team agree that the matter deserves exploration, your status would shift from inquirer to candidate. You would receive an information form together with a medical/contact document, to be sent to us prior to your visit.
3. If the vocation team concludes that it would be good to begin a process of vocational exploration, you would be invited to come and be with us. Prayer and quiet pondering in a silent environment would set the tone of your initial visit.
4. Your time with us would offer an opportunity to live, pray and work with our community, and to meet with members of the vocation team. These visits would help both of us to mutually discern if signs pointed to a continuation of the exploration.
5. If you and the vocation team mutually agree that our monastery might be the direction God is leading you, we would invite you to visit for a minimum of five days.At this time we would ask that you request letters of recommendation from your pastor, a former employer and a good friend. In addition we would ask that you fill out a medical information form
6. If further serious exploration were indicated, we would invite you to make a third visit for a minimum of five days.
OUR AGE LIMIT
We rarely accept candidates younger than 21 because we want to encourage them to have more life experience.
We rarely accept candidates over 45 because of the difficulty experienced in transitioning from an independent lifestyle into the interdependence, challenges and limitations of a cloistered environment.
FIND US ON FACEBOOK -- Join Holy Spirit Abbey vocations on Facebook
COME AND SEE WEEKENDS (2017)
December 30-January 1 (Weekend)
June 30 – July 2 (Weekend)
These retreats help an inquirer to explore the monastic life together with other like-minded men.